What To Do Before Your Home Is Listed
Its important to have your home in good showing condition before buyers start going through it. Here are some steps to take:
- Touch up interior and exterior paint as needed.
- Install new carpeting and flooring if it appears worn or dated.
- Make sure the front is clean and spruced up – curb appeal will create a favorable first impression.
- Trim bushes and plants as needed, and make sure the lawn is kept mowed and trimmed. In autumn, rake the leaves; in winter, keep the snow shoveled.
- Keep the interior clean, decluttered and odor-free. Eliminate evidence of pets.
- Minimize personal items such as family photos. You want buyers to see themselves living in the home.
- Consider putting excess furniture and belongings in storage. Nows the time to clean out the garage and basement and sell, give away or throw away items you dont need anymore.
- Consider having a pre-listing inspection performed. Buyers will be hiring professional inspectors; heres your chance to address problems in advance.
- Consider engaging a professional stager to give your home the right emotional appeal.